Monday, May 14, 2018

Reception of OZ7IGY beacon on 40 MHz - Mon 14th May 2018

At about 09:00 UTC this morning, I noticed that I was hearing FT8 signals on 28 MHz from Denmark. Later, I heard the OZ7IGY beacon on 50.470 MHz so I knew that the Sporadic-E conditions were well above 40 MHz.

I listened on 40.071 MHz and eventually heard the OZ7IGY beacon down in the noise. The distance was 1390 kms.


In terms of equipment, I was using a Yaesu FT-817 and a simple indoor 2 element beam in the attic for 50 MHz. The beam is pointing roughly 120 deg where as the OZ beacon is at 65 degrees so it is some bit off. I suspect on 40 MHz, it may be behaving as a shortened dipole so it certainly wasn't optimal.

I also noticed that the noise level on the FT817 seemed to drop off as I tuned below 45 MHz so I suspect it might not be the most sensitive on 40 MHz. Still though, the signal was heard which was a positive step.

The signal itself alternates between a morse code ID and a digital PI4 signal which almost sounds like someone playing a bugle! :o)

The beacon has an erp of 10 watts on 40 MHz and the website is http://www.oz7igy.dk/

Now that there is an allocation in Ireland, hopefully we might hear a few more signals on the 8 metre band.


2 comments:

Phil ON4TA said...

Hi John
FYI. I logged this beacon when on holiday in Ireland on May 26th 2018 at 16:24 UTC from locator IO54MB (Co. Sligo).
I was using an IC-7300 on the HF multiband wire dipole, the signal was quite weak but clearly audible for over 15 minutes.
Thanks for consolidating 8m band info.
73, Phil

John, EI7GL said...

Hi Phil, that's great. I think it is probably easier to hear the OZ beacon on 40 MHz from IO54 than from at home in Belgium.

If you hear any more 40 MHz news then please let me know. It would be great to have more European stations interested in the band to conduct experiments.

John, EI7GL