Wednesday, January 17, 2024

2024 10m QRSS Challenge: - RD4HU & W1BW 16th Jan


As part of a challenge for 2024, I've decided to see how many QRSS signals I could capture on the 28 MHz band during the year.

QRSS are very slow morse code transmissions where the dots and dashes are several seconds long and the signals are decoded by looking at a waterfall display on a screen rather than listening to the signal.

The QRSS signals are usually just below the WSPR signals on the amateur radio bands. This means it's possible to have your PC decoding WSPR signals up around 1500 Hz while you look at the QRSS signals about 500 Hz or so lower in the audio spectrum at the same time.

2024 #6 - RD4HU... Most QRSS signals take the form of very slow morse code transmissions but sometimes, other modes are used. The screen capture above shows the slow-Hellschreiber mode which is more often referred to as "slow Hell".

RD4HU is located in the city of Samara on the Volga River in European Russia and was using 5-watts as far as I know. His signal was strong as can be seen by the clear trace.


The distance to my location on the south coast of Ireland is about 3855 kms which is ideal for one F2 layer hop, hence the strong signal.

2024 #7 - W1BW... Another method of sending a signal is as a symbol or character. This is where some degree of artistic flair comes into play.

Bruce, W1BW in Boston has a flying 'W' that he uses for QRSS. W1BW is running 200mW from a Hermes Lite 2 and the antenna is a random dipole about 25m long on the rooftop of a condominium building in the city of Boston, about 25m AGL and 2m above roof level..


W1BW is located just over 4700kms from my location and the mode of propagation was probably two hops from the F2 layer of the ionosphere.

In summary... That brings the QRSS tally so far for 2024 up to 7-callsigns & 4 DXCC.

1) 08 Jan 2024: VE1VDM - DXCC #1
2) 10 Jan 2024: VA1VM
3) 15th Jan 2024: G0MBA - DXCC #2
4) 15th Jan 2024: G0PKT
5) 15th Jan 2024: AE0V - DXCC #3
6) 16th Jan 2024: RD4HU - DXCC #4
7) 16th Jan 2024: W1BW

3 comments:

Patrick said...

Nice challenge John !
Normally I would put my Ultimate3 on the air to add to your challenge, but I moved house a few months ago, and so far I haven't put up a TX antenna, only an active receive loop. So hopefully when weather allows I'll put up an antenna soon.
I know it won't be a problem to reach you, as you mentioned my QRSS signal earlier in your blog.
73 !
Patrick ON4CDJ

John, EI7GL said...

Hi Patrick

I think once the Sporadic-E season starts properly in early May, there should be some good openings around 1000kms which is about the distance from Belgium to Ireland.

It'll be interesting to see how QRSS signals I get on 10m for 2024. I'm guessing maybe 20
??

John, EI7GL

Patrick said...

"It'll be interesting to see how QRSS signals I get on 10m for 2024. I'm guessing maybe 20 ??"

Easy peasy !
You already got 8 and we're only 2 weeks far in 2024 ! :-)


Patrick, ON4CDJ