Saturday, September 12, 2020

QSL card from Germany confirming my QSO with a beacon?!?!

 

I recently got a small batch of QSL cards from the bureau and one was from a short wave listener in Germany.


The only problem is that this person claimed that they heard me having a contact on CW with a beacon! I even got a 599 signal report.

A quick look at the DX Cluster shows the source of the 'reception report'. On the 29th of April 2019, I heard the German beacon DL0IGI on 28.205 MHz and I put the spot up on the cluster.

EI7GL 28205 DL0IGI/B 11:29 29 Apr 19 IO51TU ES JN57MT Fed. Rep. of Germany

A short wave listener in Germany was just looking at spots on the DX Cluster instead of listening on the radio. What's the point in sending off cards for something you didn't hear? Why bother?

3 comments:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

He doesn't bother listening. Only wants your card as a trophy. Something similair happened to me. A SWL wrote me an e-mail with a SWL report and wanted a paper QSL card in return....73, Bas

Photon said...

Curious!

Looking at the handwriting, he's either not very well, and/or very old. In the end, there is no point in sending cards of any sort - they all just get chucked in the bin when we kick the bucket.

Woolly Bits said...

Same happened to me as well.
Some guy in a Central European country saw my cluster spot about a HAM in Nicaragua being on 5 MHz.
Your man sent me a card in which he stated that he heard me having a QSO with that Nicaraguan HAM.
Did not even have a licence for 5 MHz at that time....I was just a SWL in that part of the spectrum and supplied the tip to other HAMs who could make use of the opportunity.

Sure- folks look for trophy QSLs. And they can boast in forums how many countries they have "worked and confirmed".
Not much of a difference to HAMs who work DXpeditions on the other side of the globe via a remote station.