Sunday, January 1, 2023

Blog traffic for 2022


As we start a new year, I had a look back at the stats for the blog for 2022. I took a break from posting from about May to October and this obviously had quite an impact on the traffic to the blog. As you can see from the chart above, the blog ended the year with an average of just over 15,000 pageviews per month.

While that is down of the last two years, it's still a pretty good number. The chart below shows the daily views per day for the year.


You can see the traffic dropping off in May and then picking up again in November.

It's important to note that it's not all about blog traffic and pageviews either. Amateur radio for me at the end of the day is a scientific hobby and the frequency of posting depends on the amount of time I have  available. 

Social Media... On this front, my EI7GL Twitter account went from 800 to 1083 followers. My Facebook page went from 343 to 502 followers and my Instagram account went from 210 to 262 followers.

And for 2023??? I have a few ideas for the blog which I hope to try in the next year. The key thing for me is that whatever I write about and post, I have to be interested in it. I could probably get loads of traffic if I wrote about DX-ing on the HF bands, contesting or the latest HF rigs but I really have no interest in that.

I have seen lots of interesting stories from 2022 which I might still cover. The problem with a lot of information about amateur radio is that it exists in niche forums and social media accounts. A few people know about something that happened but I like trying to putting a spotlight on those stories and bringing them to a wider audience. 

I also think it's important to try and document properly say an unusual opening on a particular band so that there is a record of it. I try to keep links to these posts in the various band pages I have on the site. e.g. 40 MHz, 50 MHz and so on.

Hopefully for the year ahead, I keep posting and we'll see how things go.

No comments: