Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Opening to North America on 28 MHz - Mon 24th June 2019


Monday 24th June 2019 : There were plenty of FT8 signals from Europe on 28 MHz on the 24th of June 2019 but the opening of interest to me was the one to North America.

While I wasn't listening all of the time to the 10 metre FT8 frequency, I think I got a good sample of what the band was like. The map above shows what was heard over a 24 hour period with openings at roughly 16:00 UTC, 21:00 UTC and 23:30 UTC.

The one way off to the west is N6SS in Arizona who according to his QRZ page seems to have a very good station with a big beam and tower. The distance was 7901 kms which is most likely four hop Sporadic-E.

The other one of interest was WW5G in Louisana.

The station marked in Texas was KI5BLU who based on previous experience was probably using a remote station from somewhere else but giving out his locator in Texas.

On WSPR, I heard W8AC near Cleveland Ohio running 5 watts although I only listened for limited periods earlier in the day.

1 comment:

stu said...

Hi John
I also received N6SS here in Lincoln. A good solid signal for a long time.
I did call him but it was a bit in hope.I too was a bit suprised to see an N6 popping up on the screen.
2e0xxo stu