Sunday, November 7, 2021

Darwin beacon heard on 28 MHz - 7th Nov 2021


Sunday 7th November 2021: Over the last two weeks or so, I have 'heard' plenty of signals from Australia on the 28 MHz band... 'heard' as in my PC decoded FT8 and WSPR signals that may well have been buried in the noise.

I was pleasantly surprised this morning when I did a scan of the beacon portion of the 10m band and came across the VK8VF beacon near Darwin in the north of Australia.

As you can see from the image above, it is on 28.268 MHz and the signal was 419 at max with me. 

There is something special about listening to a CW signal from Australia on 28 MHz and knowing that my antenna is just a simple vertical half-wave.


The map above shows some of the stations that have spotted the VK8VF 10m beacon on the DX Cluster in the last 30 days using the proper locator format.

As can be seen, the distance is in the region of 14,000kms.

No comments: