Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Some local tropo on the FM band (88-108 MHz) - 17th Nov 2021


Wednesday 17th November 2021: I noticed some tropo signals on Band 2 (88-108 MHz) this afternoon and I spent a while doing a scan of the band.

The biggest problem is that I can hear around 75 signals on the band under flat conditions and that doesn't leave many gaps on the band for distant signals to come through.

I did hear four stations that were certainly via tropo propagation with distances ranging from 167 to 281 kms.


Under flat conditions, I can hear some of the main network FM stations on mountains that are about 130kms away.

While this reception report isn't all that unusual, it was still nice to catch these signals by just using the telescopic whip antenna of my TecSun PL-380 standing at a north facing window of my house.


It always impresses me how well this little radio works with just its own antenna.

No comments: